Maryland Affordable Housing Trust (MAHT)
Grants and Loans to Maryland Nonprofits, Agencies, and For-Profits to Promote Housing for Low-Income Families
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
09/08/22 4:00 PM
Grants and loans of up to $75,000 to Maryland nonprofit organizations, government agencies, for-profit entities, and housing authorities to promote affordable housing for low-income households. Grant funding is intended to support project-specific capacity building, operating expenses, and support services, while funding for capital costs is offered as deferred payment loans.
While all activities funded by the Maryland Affordable Housing Trust generally serve residents with incomes of less than 50% of statewide or area median, whichever is higher, preference is given to projects that serve households with incomes of less than 30% of median.
The Maryland Affordable Housing Trust promotes affordable housing for households earning less than 50% of area or Statewide median income by:
- Funding capital costs of rental and ownership housing;
- Providing financial assistance for nonprofit-developer capacity building;
- Funding supportive services for occupants of affordable housing; and
- Funding operating expenses of affordable housing developments.
For examples of eligible uses of funds, see: https://dhcd.maryland.
Projects that meet the following criteria will be most competitive:
- Target very low-income persons
- Provide housing for families with minor children and/or single adults in Single Room Occupancy units;
- Demonstrate project readiness and feasibility;
- Project long-term affordability (for capital projects);
- Demonstrate need /demand for housing in geographic area and helps achieve equitable geographic distribution of Maryland Affordable Housing Trust funds;
- Leverage other funds and/or provide the final piece in a financing package; and
- Provide self-sufficiency services.
For information about threshold requirements, see: https://dhcd.maryland.
GrantWatch ID#: 182061
Estimated Size of Grant:
The maximum award amount is $75,000.
Additional Eligibility Criteria:
– Nonprofit organizations
– Public housing authorities
– Government agencies
– Profit-motivated entities
Preference is given to projects that provide both housing and self-sufficiency assistance for:
– Families with minor children; and/or
– Single adults in need of Single Room Occupancy permanent housing.
The Maryland Affordable Housing Trust does not provide:
– Direct rental assistance to tenants;
– Capacity building assistance that is not related to a specific housing development; or
– Purchase of grantee personal property, such as office furniture or equipment.
– Guidelines and application available July 7, 2022
– Applications due September 8, 2022
– Announcement of awards December 30, 2022
Applications must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 8, 2022.
For additional relevant links, see URL for Full Text (RFP), below.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source’s website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/
Email applications to MAHT.DHCD@maryland.gov.
CONTACT: Kecia Campbell, Program Administrator
Maryland Affordable Housing Trust
Maryland Affordable Housing Trust
c/o Dept. of Housing and Community Development
7800 Harkins Road
Lanham, MD 20706
URL for Full Text (RFP):