Grants to Maryland Nonprofits, Agencies, IHEs, and Conservation Districts for Watershed Restoration Projects
Watershed Assistance Grant Program
Foundation / Corporation
Chesapeake Bay Trust, Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE)
08/25/22 4:00 PM EDT
Grants to Maryland nonprofits, government agencies, IHEs, faith-based entities, community and homeowners associations, conservation districts and councils, and forestry boards for early-phase watershed restoration projects and planning activities in eligible locations. Funding is intended to improve water quality in the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake Bay watershed, the Maryland portion of the Youghiogheny watershed, and the Maryland Coastal Bays.
This program provides support for watershed restoration project designs and permitting and for watershed planning and programmatic development. By funding the earliest phases of watershed restoration projects and planning, the funding partners aim to provide local governments and non-profit organizations the ability to position themselves to quickly advance implementation work. The funding partners hope the products of grants funded under this opportunity will enable grantees to:
- Leverage resulting designs, plans, or projects to craft future proposals for implementation funding to the Maryland Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays Trust Fund, grant programs at the Chesapeake Bay Trust, or other sources of support;
- Develop deliverables that will support local planning efforts such as Financial Assurance Plans (FAPs), Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Implementation Plans, county-wide Green Infrastructure Plans, watershed action plans, and State of Maryland Phase III Watershed Implementation Plan (WIP) strategies and associated State Two-year Milestones.
Applicants can request funds from one of the following project types.
- Type 1: Project Design
- Type 2: Watershed Planning and Program Development
For more information about eligible project types, see https://cbtrust.org/wp-
GrantWatch ID#: 174372
Estimated Total Program Funding:
Estimated Size of Grant:
– Generally, up to $100,000 for design of stormwater best management practices
– Generally, up to $150,000 for design of stream restoration practices
– Generally, up to $75,000 for watershed planning and programmatic development
Term of Contract:
Projects must be completed within 12-16 months upon receipt of the award. Requests to extend project completion period will be reviewed and considered on a case-by-case basis.
Additional Eligibility Criteria:
– 501(c)3 Private Nonprofit Organizations
– Faith-based Organizations
– Community and Homeowners Associations
– Municipal, County, and Regional Agencies
– Soil/Water Conservation Districts & Resource Conservation and Development Councils
– Forestry Boards
– Public and Independent Higher Educational Institutions
If your organization category is not listed above, contact the Trust to verify eligibility prior to submitting your application. Applications submitted from organizations outside of these categories may not be eligible for funding.
The Trust seeks applications from organizations new to environmental grant-making as well as organizations experienced in design and planning projects. All applicants, but particularly new applicants, are welcome to contact the Trust for assistance in applying.
The FY22 Watershed Assistance Grant Program awards will be announced in December 2022.
Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Trust or DNR staff early during proposal development.
A match is encouraged but not required.
Watch a video on how to apply for and submit an application using the online system at https://cbtrust.org/grants/
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source’s website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/
Apply online: https://www.
Direct questions to:
(410) 974-2941 ext. 101
The Chesapeake Bay Trust
108 Severn Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403